Referee Development Program (NON CERTIFIED REFEREES) - The SYS Referee Development Program is a one season training program that we offer in the Fall. Those interested in the program must be 13 prior to September 1st. At age 14, referees can certify. Our program is designed to give those interested in refereeing an opportunity to try it and practice some of the basic skills before certifying. Please click on Referee Training on the left side of this website to learn how to become certified. We only allow 6-8 referees into the program each year on a first come first served basis.
Want to be a referee? Please contact Beth Fecteau to find out more information.
Please visit the Massachusetts State Referee Committee page for more information on what courses you must take.
CHOOSE THE COURSE THAT IS RIGHT FOR YOU
Determining which referee course to enroll in can be confusing. Here are some points to consider before you enroll to help you choose the right course for you.
You must take the Grade 8 course if:
- You are at least 14 years old.
- You wish to referee small sided games only (typically 6-8 players per team on the field).
- You want to referee small recreational games only. That means that the players did not go through a formal tryout process for the team and the games take place between teams that come from the same town.
- You want to referee only players who are under the age of 14
- You wish to referee full-sided (11 players a side) soccer.
- You want to referee competitive players. That means that you want to referee the higher skilled players, those that have been selected to play for their town, and who will play in games against other towns.