Seekonk Youth Soccer's Fall Recreational Program is open to children of Seekonk residents from kindergarten age through middle school. The program is designed to teach youngsters the fundamentals of the game, develop good sportsmanship skills, and compete in a fun and friendly environment without the competitive or travel element associated with our Black Goose program. All activities are held at the Cole Street Athletic fields on Saturday mornings , typically from 8am - 12pm, with playoffs being held on the last week of the season. Practices will be held at the coaches discretion in coordination with the league and town.
WE NEED VOLUNTEERS!
Our program is run off the hard work put in by our volunteer coaches and board members year after year. To continue on with our youth soccer program, we need all the help we can get! Please consider volunteering your time by coaching or helping out on our board.
If you would like more information on how you can help, please reach out to [email protected] or register to coach when signing up your young player for the Rec or Black Goose seasons.
GENERAL REC SOCCER FAQ's
Where and when are the Fall Rec Program games played?
Games are played on Saturday mornings at the Cole Street Fields near Martin Elementary School. Our Rec Season generally runs from September through early November. Players are expected to attend at least one, one-hour practice per week along with their game. Coaches should be informed in advance in the event of an absence.
How many games does each team play?
Each team normally plays 8 games, unless there are cancellations due to inclement weather. .
Where and when are Fall Rec practices?
Your child's coach will manage each practice session and will provide you the details on where and when your child's practices will be held.
What equipment do I need to provide for my child?
- Seekonk Youth Soccer uniforms are required for all players on all teams. Uniform sales are held online and a link to our store will be circulated once we are clear on the direction of the fall season. The price of a full kit is approximately $40. This includes a reversible jersey, shorts, and socks.
- All players must wear shin guards on the field at all times for safety reasons.
- Soccer socks should be worn over the shin guards.
- All players are required to have a soccer ball at all times for practices and games. Required ball sizes vary by age: Size 3 for U-5 to U-8, Size 4 for U-9 to U12 and Size 5 for U-13 and up.
- Soccer cleats are recommended to ensure proper footing on the fields. Baseball and football cleats are not permitted for safety reasons.
- NO Jewelry is permitted except for medical reasons - all earrings, bracelets and necklaces must be removed prior to practice and game play.
- Please have your child bring water or a non-sugary sports drink. The fields can still be very hot to play on in the early part of the fall.
What is the SYS soccer uniform and how can I get one?
The SYS uniform is sold online from DMK Sports and includes a reversible jersey, socks, and shorts. We recommend placing your orders as early as possible to account for printing and shipping time.
How do I volunteer to coach / assistant coach?
When you are registering your child, there is a box you can check that says "I would like to coach or assistant coach." From there, we will reach out to you sometime in August to confirm that you have volunteered and advise you on things like team placement and starting the background/CORI check started.
Can I request that my child be placed on a specific team?
We receive many requests for placement on specific teams, but as our league has grown in size, it has become more difficult to manage with each new season. We try our best to accommodate most basic family requests, but we cannot guarantee approval in all cases - particularly those that impact other aspects of the program and/or are in violation of certain MYSA guidelines.
How are the teams built?
We work very hard to ensure fair match-ups among our teams in every division. Our most basic guideline is to make sure that each age group's team is comprised of a consistent mix of first and second year players, as well as competitive travel and recreational players (for U8 and above).
How can I help?
We're always looking for help! If you are interested in joining our Board or seeking out volunteer opportunities, reach out to any existing Seekonk Youth Soccer board member or contact [email protected] for more information.
How else can you help? It makes a huge difference in our program when parents and coaches arrive to games on time and simply maintain a positive and encouraging environment during practices and games. Help us keep the fields tidy by making sure your child(ren) throw away any snacks and take their water bottles with them as they leave. On most Friday evenings, board volunteers are moving goals, setting up benches and re-painting field lines. We're always looking for an extra set of hands if you have the time!